Install A Custom ROM Via Recovery On Android Devices – Today, we are going to share a step-by-step detailed guide on how to flash/install custom ROM using TWRP Recovery Or CyanogenMod Recovery (CWM Recovery) on Android devices. If you want to install any third party ROM such as Carbon ROM, Chroma ROM, and other AOSP ROM). Then by following the given instructions, you can easily and safely Flash / Install Custom ROM using Recovery on Android devices.
- 1 What is a Custom ROM?
- 2 Get CyanogenMod 13 (CM13) and Marshmallow ROMs Gapps
- 3 Download Android 8.0 / 8.1 Gapps
- 4 How To: Install Custom ROM Using TWRP Recovery:
- 5 Install Custom ROM Using Clock Work Mode Recovery (CWM):
What is a Custom ROM?
A Custom ROM is a customized ROM or Firmware built for a particular device. For example the OEM manufactured devices usually come with AOSP (The Android Open Source Project) Android ROMs. This not always true. OEMs like: Samsung which has TouchWiz UI, HTC which has Sense UI, Xiaomi which has MIUI etc. The AOSP is the vanilla version of Android which is released to each OEM where they integrate their own changes or features on top of the Vanilla Android and customizes the actual AOSP ROM. CyanogenMod is one of the biggest Custom ROM developed by the developer community across the world and which was not created by a single OEM like Samsung, HTC, Xiaomi etc.
Custom ROMs give you many added features which the OEM’s stock ROMs does not have and sometimes even Google’s AOSP also lacks those features. For example: The dictionary feature on Android came around 4.2 or 4.3 (I don’t remember exactly when) but I had been using the same feature in CyanogenMod since Android 2.3. Just imagine how much the CyanogenMod custom ROM is ahead of even Google in terms of feature packing. I hope you have got at least some idea, if not then you can get it after using one.
Keep in mind that you can use the following tutorial for any Android phone/tablet. All you need to download the particular ROM for your device and install/flash any Custom AOSP ROM on your Android device via a custom recovery like TWRP / CWM.
Before going ahead, the bootloader of your Android device should be unlocked and the latest version of a custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP is already installed on it to flash the custom ROM Zip file using TWRP / CWM recovery.
If you have not yet installed TWRP On your Android phone then you can download and install it by following the given guide.
For Samsung Devices:
Please note that you will need to flash Google Apps package on your phone separately after installing a custom ROM.
Get CyanogenMod 13 (CM13) and Marshmallow ROMs Gapps
Download Android 8.0 / 8.1 Gapps
How To: Install Custom ROM Using TWRP Recovery:
Make sure that you have already rooted your Android phone and a Custom Recovery Like TWRP is installed on it to flash the ROM zipped file.
- First of all, create a complete nandroid backup of all your important data using TWRP recovery.
- Download Google Apps package from the above given link for your phone and move it to the root folder of your SD Card on the phone.
- Now, boot your device into TWRP recovery with the combination of hardware keys.
- While your device is in TWRP recovery, select “Wipe” from the main menu of recovery and do a “Swipe to Factory Reset” on the bottom of the screen.
- Navigate back to TWRP main menu, tap on “Install”. Choose the ROM .zip file that you have already moved to the internal storage of your phone.
- After selecting the .zip file, do “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This process will take a while, so be patient.
- After the installation process successfully completes, you’ll see “Wipe cache/dalvik” option, select it and then do “Swipe to wipe”.
- Similarly, install the Gapps file on your device by following the above steps.
- Finally, reboot your device.
Install Custom ROM Using Clock Work Mode Recovery (CWM):
- If you want to install a custom ROM using CWM recovery, then download the custom ROM and transfer it to the internal storage of your phone.
- Boot your device into CWM recovery with the combination of specific hardware buttons.
- Create a full NANDROID backup of your ROM.
- From Recovery screen, select “Backup and Restore”
- Now select “Backup” to start the nandroid backup process.
- Once the backup is completed, go back to the main screen of recovery.
- Choose “wipe data/factory reset” option. Confirm data wipe process to begin.
- Navigate to main recovery menu and locate the ROM zip file that you have already transferred to root folder of your SD card.
- Start flashing ROM by selecting “install zip from sdcard” option. Select “Yes” to start.
- After the ROM installation completes, reboot your device.
- Finally, flash the Gapps using the above steps.
Let us know in the comments area below if you have any question or trouble while installing a custom ROM on your Android device via TWRP or CWM custom recovery.