Sony phones are popular in the market for a long time. Sony has launched a series of successful models starting from its Xperia XZ series which included, Sony Xperia XZ, XZ premium, and XZ compact. The launching of these series has made the Sony smartphones a bit expensive also. Sony Xperia XZ1 was released in August 2017, it comes with 5.2-inch display with the resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels, was powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 chip, with 4 Gigs of RAM, 64 GB of storage options and a 19 MP rear camera. It is powered by Android Nougat out of the box. But this is obviously not a full specification sheet but this is enough to prove that this device is indeed a flagship with cheaper price.
According to us, both CWM Recovery and TWRP Recovery works flawlessly for the flashing of custom ROMs or rooting a device. There are no such major differences between these two recoveries as both of them do the perfect job, but it totally depends on the user. If you are a new to using recoveries than better choose TWRP recovery as it has a user-friendly interface with the large buttons which will reduce the chance of mistakes while tweaking your device.
This whole process is simple and easy which can be completed within 10-15 min. We have already stated that the most preferred uses of the TWRP recovery is that you can root your device or flash custom ROMs on your device. Now follow the below step by step guide to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Sony Xperia XZ1.
- This guide only for Sony Xperia XZ1.
- Unlock Bootloader of Sony Xperia XZ1.
- Take a backup of your files before proceeding further.
- Maintain more than 50% – 60% battery to prevent the sudden shutdown.
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Sony Xperia XZ1
Install TWRP Recovery
- First Unlock Bootloader on your device.
- Download and Install ADB and Fastboot drivers.
- Now, download TWRP recovery img for Sony Xperia XZ1.
- Rename the downloaded img file to “TWRP” and transfer the file to your device.
- Enable USB Debugging on Android Smartphones
- Go to the ADB folder and then press “Shift key + Right mouse key” and click on the “Open command window here.”
- Now connect your Sony Xperia XZ1 to the PC using a USB data cable.
- Open the ADB folder and launch the Command prompt window there. (shift + right click anywhere empty space within that folder and click on open command prompt here).
- Power off your device and boot your device into fastboot mode. To do this, press and hold Volume up + Power at the same time to boot into fastboot mode.OR You can execute the following command to boot into fastboot mode
adb reboot bootloader
- Now connect your device to your PC via USB cable and execute the following command. (This command will confirm that your device is connected to PC)
- If your device is successfully connected, execute the following command to flash TWRP Recovery.
fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img
To Bypass your device encryption you have to format user data.
fastboot format userdata
That’s all! You have installed TWRP Recovery on your Sony Xperia XZ1. It can be checked by long press “Volume down + power” buttons to boot into recovery mode.
Root Sony Xperia XZ1 via TWRP Recovery
- Download SuperSU or Magisk Zip and transfer file into your device
- Reboot your device into TWRP Recovery.
- Power off your device.
- Press and hold “Volume down button + Power button” until you see anything on the screen.
- Now in the TWRP main menu, Click on the Wipe and swipe to factory reset.
- Navigate to the main menu in TWRP, click on install and select the SuperSU or Magisk zip file
- After selecting the SuperSU or Magisk zip file, do swipe to confirm flash to begin the installation process.
- After the installation process is completed, check the Wipe cache/Dalvik option, click on it and Swipe to wipe.
- Now reboot your device from the main menu.
Hope you have successfully installed TWRP recovery and Rooted Sony Xperia XZ1.