Being one of the Budget offerings by OnePlus, the OnePlus X was nowhere near a budget phone. With its premium looks and very good specs, the OnePlus X sure stole our hearts without leaving a hole in our pockets.Interested in tweaking your device? Today we’ll be checking out how to Unlock the Bootloader of your OnePlus X.
What is Bootloader?
In literal terms, a bootloader is a code that is executed before any Operating System starts to run.Every Android phone has a bootloader that instructs the operating system kernel to boot normally. But you need to understand one thing here that as Android OS is an open source OS and is available on a variety of different hardware, every manufacturer has their own version of bootloader specific for the hardware present in its environment.
Why Should I unlock my Bootloader?
With a locked bootloader on Android devices, it is virtually impossible to flash a Custom ROM and forced attempts void warranty as well as usually end up in bricks. Therefore, the first step is to always unlock the bootloader. If you want to root, you’d be wanting to flash Custom ROM post-root, and if you want to install a Custom ROM, you’d need to have your stock bootloader unlocked. In simple terms Unlocking the bootloader allows you to install custom Firmware on your Android phone.
Things to be done
Make sure you have the USB drivers for your phone installed on your computer so that the computer recognizes your phone when being connected.
Installing ADB and Fastboot
Without Installing ADB and fastboot drivers, the corresponding modes will not be identified while connected to the computer. In order to send commands over the pc to your OnePlus X, these ADB and fastboot drivers are required.
Fortunately, there is a simple software to install these drivers in just a few seconds.You can download it from here
- Download ADB v1.42 from the link given above
- Run the setup file (Administrative Privileges required)
- Press Y/Yes to install ADB and Fastboot or N/No to skip
- Press Y/Yes to install ADB system-wide or N/No for current user only
- Press Y/Yes to install Drivers or N/No to skip
- Continue Driver installation
The ADB and fastboot drivers will be installed in just a few seconds
Unlocking the bootloader of OnePlus X
Keep all your data backed up before starting this process as unlocking the bootloader completely wipes your device.
Steps to Unlock the Bootloader on OnePlus X:
- Enable USB debugging on your OnePlus X. Go to Settings > About phone, and then tap ‘Build number’ 7 times or until you get the message ‘You’re now a developer!
- Go back to Settings, choose ‘Developer options’. Find the ‘USB debugging’ option and use this toggle button to enable it. Accept warning by tapping on OK button.
- In the same Menu, you will find the ‘OEM Unlocking’ option and use its toggle button to enable it.
- Plug in your OnePlus X to windows now. You will get a pop-up as shown below on your phone when you connect for the first time after enabling USB debugging. Select ‘Always allow from this computer’ checkbox and then tap on OK button.
- Boot your OnePlus X into Bootloader/Fastboot mode. For that turn off your Phone then hold Power+Volume up to boot into Bootloader/Fastboot mode.
- Now browse to C:/adb on your PC and open a command window there. To do that just press and hold the shift key and then right-click the mouse pointer in that window. Now press Open command window here. A command window will be opened there.
- Now to check whether all drivers were correctly installed. Type in “fastboot devices”. It should display a text with numbers and letters followed by fastboot.
- Once the connection is established successfully, enter the code to unlock the bootloader. Type in “fastboot oem unlock”. Now it will automatically unlock the bootloader. It may take a few moments. As soon as it is unlocked the devices boots up.
- To check whether your bootloader has been successfully unlocked, reboot the phone once again in bootloader mode and check the status. Type in “fastboot oem device-info”.It should have a couple of lines of code there, both with the flag set to true.
You have successfully Unlocked your bootloader and your device is ready to be tweaked.Keep following for more guides and tutorials.