The brand new official Android 8.1.0 Oreo firmware update is finally hitting all Pixel 2 phones which are currently running on 8.0 Oreo. Google Pixel 2 was launched in October 2017 with Android 8.0 Oreo OS and only after a few months, Google has rolled out the Android 8.0.1 Oreo Official OTA update for Pixel 2. By following the given guide, you can easily update Google Pixel 2 to Android 8.1.0 Oreo. This latest official update comes with the couple of tweaks and improvements that should enhance your device’s Oreo OS experience. Checkout the some of the highlighted features and customizations of this firmware.
- Wallpaper-based themes
- New Oreo Easter Egg
- Support for showing battery levels of connected devices (Bluetooth settings menu)
- Revamped Settings page
- Removed Keep Wifi On During Sleep option
- New Power menu,
- All apps will only make a single notification alert per second and much more.
Google rolled out the Android 8.1.0 Oreo official update via OTA (Over-the-Air), it means that not all users can get this OTA update at the same time. So if you are excited and can’t wait for Google to push the new firmware update in your region, then you can install the brand new official Android 8.1.0 Oreo update manually.
The Android 8.1.0 Oreo official OTA update is only for those Google Pixel 2 variants which are are running Android 8.0 100% stock firmware, otherwise you cannot flash any official update over a modified OS. Not necessary but it is better to take the full backup of all your valuable data. If you want to update Google Pixel 2 to Android 8.1.0 Oreo then go ahead and follow the given steps.
Please note that the official update in this guide is working only with Google Pixel 2. Do not try to install it on any other device or incorrect variants. Verify the model number of your phone first. (You have to install the new Android 8.1.0 (OPM1.171019.011, Dec 2017) build only over the Android 8.0.0 (OPD1.170816.025, Nov 2017)
You May Also Like:
AndroidXDA.net will not be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files. Proceed at your own risk.
Before Getting Started:
- Make a proper backup of your existing data.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Also, enable the OEM Unlock option.
- The bootloader should be unlocked.
- The battery level of your Google Pixel 2 should be at least about 60 to 70% to avoid unexpected shutdowns.
Setup Android ADB and Fastboot Drivers (Platform-Tools) on PC:
Download the Platform-Tools and ADB drivers setup as these drivers will allow you to connect your phone with PC as without these drivers, it’s not possible to install the Android 8.0.1 Oreo official update.
- Download the Platform-tools zip using the following links below:
– for Windows computers click here. [Mirror] – for Mac OS click here. [Mirror] – for Linux click here. [Mirror]
- Simply, unzip the downloaded files from the above links and save the Platform-tools directory on the desktop of your PC.
- Leave the newly created directory or folder open.
- Download and install the Google USB Drivers on your PC.
Steps to Update Google Pixel 2 to Android 8.1.0 Oreo:
1: First, download Android 8.1.0 official update from this link. [Mirror]
2: Now, unzip the downloaded Android 8.1 official update files and copy/paste them all to Platform-Tools. Please do not extract the files any further.
3: Power off the Google Pixel 2.
4: Boot the Google Pixel 2 in Bootloader Mode.
- Turn off your Google Pixel 2 completely.
- Press and hold Volume Down+Power buttons at the same time.
- Release the buttons when the Fastboot Mode menu loads.
- The main Fastboot Mode options will appear and you can apply any action you need to.
5: Navigate to Platform-Tools directory and open a Command Prompt within the folder.
6: Connect the Google Pixel 2 with your PC using its USB data cable. If your drivers are correctly installed then your phone will be detected by the computer.
7: You will need to unlock the bootloader and then type the given command in the command prompt.
fastboot flashing unlock
8: Go to Platform-Tools directory once again and find the Flash-all.bat script. Launch it.
9: Begin the process to flash-all.bat Android 8.1.0 flashing. Wait for the installation to be successfully finished.
10: After the installation completes successfully, you will see a confirmation message.
11: Finally, unplug your phone from PC and boot it in normal mode. Your device might take about 4 to 5 minutes while booting for the first time after installation.
Done! You have successfully flashed Android 8.1.0 Oreo official firmware to update Google Pixel 2.
Let us know in the comments area below if you have any issues or question regarding the above guide.