A new OmniROM custom build is now available for users of the mini Galaxy S3 model, awaiting custom firmware based on Lollipop. This OmniROM is based on the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop carrying build number LMY47V that Google has made available for the Nexus 7 models and Nexus 10 tablets earlier. So those who were waiting for a firmware based update, can now install the Android Lollipop 5.1.1 to their S3 Mini devices. Remember that this OmniROM based on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop is in the beta phase, so you might face some not functioning features or bugs.
We’ve given some of the highlighted features of OmniROM featuring Android 5.1.1 below but keep in mind that the video recording has currently issues that might be fixed by Google soon. If you are interested to get the OmniROM 5.1.1 on your Galaxy S3 Mini I8190 then follow the given step by step guide. Before going ahead to the installation guide, check out the changelog, working and not working features.
OmniROM 5.1.1 Changelog:
- Updated to latest Omni 5.1.1 code base (LMY47V)
- App Ops: Allow configuration of system apps
- Fixed call drops
- Fixed offline charging
- Button backlight support (including dark mode)
- Battery indicator styles
- Fixed VPN connectivity
OmniROM Working Features:
- RIL: Voice calls, SMS, Mobile Data: 2G, 3G up to HSDPA
- Bluetooth (with A2DP and AVRCP support, In-Call Audio (SCO))
- WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n, WiFi tethering (“WiFi Hotspot”)
- Multimedia: Audio, Video, Torch LED, Images Gallery, Voice Rec
- Camera (pictures)
- Messaging: Email, SMS/MMS
- LED button backlights
- Battery Saver Mode
- Offline charging
- CPU Deep Sleep support
- Video recording (camcorder)
This guide containing the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop OmniROM is only working with Galaxy S3 Mini I8190. Do not try to install this ROM on any other or incorrect variant. As a result the device might gets bricked. So check the model number of your device first.
AndroidXDA.net will not be held responsible for any kind of damage or mishap occurred to your Galaxy S3 Mini I8190 during or after the flashing process of OmniROM featuring Android 5.1.1 Lollipop build LMY47V. Proceed at your own risk.
Before Getting Started:
- Make a proper backup of all your existing data and settings on your Galaxy S3 Mini before proceeding to the installation guide using a custom recovery.
- Download and install correct Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8190 USB Drivers on the PC.
- Enable USB Debugging on the S3 Mini by navigating to Settings > Developer Options.
- The Galaxy S3 Mini should be rooted with the latest version of custom recovery installed on it.
- Make sure that the battery level of your Galaxy S3 is above 80%.
Steps to Install Android 5.1.1 build LMY47V on Galaxy S3 Mini with OmniROM:
Step No 1:- First, download the OmniROM 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware file on the desktop of your PC.
Step No 2:- Now copy the downloaded file (without extracting) to the root folder of your SD Card on the phone.
Step No 3:- Download TWRP Recovery on the S3 Mini.
Step No 4:- Power OFF the Galaxy S3 Mini in order to boot the phone into recovery mode.
Step No 5:- Turn ON the phone while pressing and holding Power + Home + Volume Up buttons at the same time until the TWRP logo displays.
Step No 6:- While the Galaxy S3 is now in Recovery Mode, take a proper backup of the current ROM by navigating to the recovery menu > select Backup > swipe on the Swipe to Back Up.
Step No 7:- Perform a full factory wipe, wipe/system and dalvik cache after finishing the backup process.
Step No 8:- Go back to the main recovery menu, choose Install and go to the location where you have copied the OmniROM 5.1.1 file, select the file and click Swipe to Confirm Flash option. No wait for the process to be completed.
Step No 9:- Install the Google Apps package on your Galaxy S3 Mini by repeating the above process.
Step No 10:- Navigate to the TWRP main recovery menu and select restart the device from Reboot > System once the Gapps file is installed.
If your Galaxy S3 Mini experience boot loop or gets stuck on booting animation after flashing the ROM then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache for a few times before rebooting the Galaxy S3 Mini.
If you would to like to root your phone after the installation of OmniROM 5.1.1 then download the latest stable version of SuperSU by Chainfire as this ROM is not a pre-rooted custom firmware. Just flash it on your S3 Mini via TWRP recovery.